Internal use of essential oils is probably one of the most controversial topics regarding essential oils and their use. This partly stems from individuals' backgrounds and the school of thought to which they primarily subscribe (French, British, or German). I will not discuss the differences in this post, but you may want to research them if you are interested in obtaining more information on the differences. Suffice it to say that based on my research I believe many essential oils can safely be used internally.
There are many essential oils, such as peppermint, that are GRAS (generally regarded as safe) by the FDA. Young Living has also worked with the FDA to get several other essential oils approved for internal use, including the entire Vitality line of essential oils.
...the Vitality™ line of dietary essential oils gives you the freedom to share and explore some of our best-loved essential oils in a variety of nutritious and delicious ways.
Tips for using essential oils internally
- Use glass or stainless steel, not plastic or styrofoam, to prepare and serve foods or drinks made with essential oils.
- Start with a small amount and add more if desired. Some of the stronger oils like Oregano Vitality will flavor an entire dish with less than a drop.
- Check out the Young Living blog for recipe ideas.
- When adding essential oils to water or juice, it tends to mix better if you put a drop of the essential oil in your glass first and then add your water, NingXia Red, or juice.
Ways to use essential oils internally
- Add essential oils to your water, NingXia Red, seltzer water, smoothies, etc.
- Use essential oils in place of extracts and spices in sweet or savory recipes. (Remember that it will use much less essential oil than extract or dried herbs and spices to give the same flavor.)
- Put a drop of essential oil on a piece of bread or a spoonful of honey.
- Add to your favorite warm beverage.
- Put essential oils in an empty gel capsule and swallow.
- Consume any of Young Living's essential oil infused nutritional products or supplements.